Blog post: "Is language just a set of strings?"
Jeffrey Kegler
2018-05-29 12:55:03 UTC
My newest blog post is "Is language just a set of strings?"
<http://jeffreykegler.github.io/Ocean-of-Awareness-blog/individual/2018/05/chomsky_1956.html>

"The languages human beings use with each other are powerful, varied,
flexible and endlessly retargetable. The parsers we use to communicate with
computers are restrictive, repetitive in form, difficult to reprogram, and
prohibitively hard to retarget. Is this because humans have a preternatural
language ability?
"Or is there something wrong with the way we go about talking to
computers? How the Theory of Parsing literature defines the term "language"
may seem of only pedantic interest. But I will argue that it is a mistake
which has everything to do with the limits of modern computer languages."